Leaders who insist on a one-way-only-approach, squash critical brainpower for winning solutions. Have you seen it happen?
Indicators that leaders fail to reach beyond personal opinion to engage opposing views pop up everywhere. Sadly though, they are rarely recognized by some, as the root of bigger systemic problems.
You’ll recognize this one-way-only approach in any organization where brainpower is lost daily while:
- Cynics rise up faster when valid voices are shut out, and cynicism shuts down brainpower for creative solutions – so organizations stagnate.
- Opposing views are missed and so the human brain is more likely to revert back to ruts, which often lead to failed responses to problems that arise.
- Poor tone emerges and with it – confidence fades so that fewer people take necessary risks for growth and change.
- Amygdalas flare – causing lost brainpower opportunities because chemicals and the brain’s circuitry works against innovative answers.
- Meta messages fly – so that communication flaws increase between what you hear and what speakers mean.
It takes finely honed smart skills for leaders to facilitate a wider way, where the best brainpower emerges to fit each situation. Of the many executives who tell you democracy runs their operations, I have seen less than a handful who show skills to make that expanded brainpower into living reality and prosperity for all. You?