Rarely have we struggled against more anxiety and stress where our youth are especially in need. It’s the perfect time to respond with social and emotional boosts that toss cheer back into coming holidays!
Yes, suicides and homicides have spiked and hopelessness holds a gun to too many kids. Yet hope re-energizes their efforts and talents.
Meet the namungo gang. They jam-pack social and emotional health into hidden and unused intelligences already present in our brains!
The namungo gang is here to help you sidestep panic and rebuild hope.
You may remember namungos – those fictional characters, with real brain parts! But did you know these magical characters offer real tools from our own mental stockpiles to help us let go of what is in order to live dreams that could be ours? How so?
Namungos offer 6 surefire ways to let go and leap forward ~
1. BAS stores good habits that healthy minded people build – such as regular sleep patterns. Each good habit stored becomes the practice easily retrieved as tools to spot and enjoy future possibilities.
With good choices, we can bypass the brain’s pack-rat basal ganglia which warehouses ruts and broken routines like squirrels stockpile nuts in winter. It’s about choice. Current comfort in BAS, or stepping into finer habits that open doors into uncharted ventures? Those aware of BAS ditch tired basal ganglia routines faster and run with new tactics that surprise with delight.
2. SERO fuels laughter at silly mistakes made along the way so that confidence is built along with expectation to do better in the next run through. SERO can be raised in several observable ways that help you at every stage to cultivate wellbeing and foster wonder with every new step.
By now – you likely know that serotonin – the brain’s wellbeing chemical – packs new zest when we laugh at our mistakes. Get others laughing too and serotonin sends its magic across an entire room.
3. PLAS literally reshapes your brain for more fun and less panic when you disrupt a tired habit with a finer upshot. How so? Watch PLAS change your brain for more fun and less panic, when you simply ask, What if…? and then act on new approaches learned. Take even one extravagant step in the direction of a risk tethered to a daring dream.
Your plasticity (the brain’s ability to change itself) reshapes after each action you risk and then do. Yes – it takes action! You grow more brainpower with each innovative move.
4. WM works in your favor when you jot down cool tips learned at each stage. Add hints and insights to show how you’ll do it later in your next step forward. Expect to forget even the best ideas, if not applied, because your working memory acts like a computer’s copy-paste file. How so?
When new facts or possibilities fly in from any novel idea encountered, your brain’s thimble sized capacity for new facts gets displaced. Outsource your working memory by creating cheat sheets of tactics you will try and then be sure to act on.
5. CORT attacks those who fail to run from vents and people who sprout them. To avoid CORT’s toxins, offer a cool proposal and help to improve anything you dislike. What do vents trigger? CORT says it best.
Cortisol – the brain’s toxic stress chemical – packs a sucker punch to all when we vent, rage, regret, gloat, or nay-say. Get yourself and others proposing mental make-overs wherever you spot snags and those flawed moves will fade as cortisol decreases. The brain’s surefire path from vents to victory is to propose a possibility to resolve a problem and then try out your idea.
6. MYG leaves you emotionally stuck in untamed mode unless you amp up emotional IQ when stress strikes. Some call it taming your amygdala which is the brain’s seat of emotions. Why should you refuse to settle for an untamed MYG?
MYG stands for your amygdala – the brain’s storehouse that stockpiles every kind shout out you make for a peer, every thanks you offer a neighbor or colleague, every smile you flash to a coach or mentor! A tamed amygdala sets the stage for life-changing takeaways – that get you more bang for every emotional buck.
Looking for a bundle of student-ready materials to rock more brainpower for your next game?
Check out this bundle to see social and emotional games, tasks and lessons namungos offer to help transform your next stress related problem into an emotional learning high that benefits all concerned.
What will you do today to awaken minds and lead fresh innovations? How might a numungo or fictitious character with real brain parts, help you out?
Secondary students especially benefit from strategies that boost morale, lower stress and set them free to learn and love the process.
The holiday season’s a perfect place to ask, WHAT IF…?
Brain based tools bundled here will help you build your unique intelligences, on the other side of missteps from your past. For instance …
Learning tools fashioned to fit your brain, will light a new path toward your unique star.
The namungo gang bundles learning games, tasks and lessons learning into sharper focus here. Ready to reconnects neurons of wellbeing, in ways that support new neuron pathways to custom-made discoveries that delight.
Join our Brain Based Circles! Would love to meet you at any of the following!
Created by Ellen Weber, Brain Based Tasks for Growth Mindset