Add life-changing brainpower through 25 recent facts from the brain sciences:
1. Boredom is more a habit formed in brains, and shaped by your choices, than a reality.
2. Environment counts, and a healthy setting helps people transform problems into solutions.
3. Well being comes partially from and is fueled and extended by serotonin chemical hormones.
4. Anger, fear, and frustration are fueled and extended by cortisol chemical hormones.
5. Venting is bad for the brain and creates new neuron pathways to much more of the same.
6. Dendrite brain cells use the outside world and take shape, or grow based on what you do.
7. Music changes brain wave speeds in ways that impact moods and alter productivity.
8. Lectures and talks work against listeners’ brains and benefit speakers’ intelligence mostly.
9. Hebbian workers rewire their brains to kill incentives, limit focus or even shrink their brains.
10. Diversity training commonly works mentally against benefits because of its deficit model.
11. Brain waves can bring either sleep or peak performance, based on how you activate them.
12. Hook even difficult facts onto one thing you know and learning increases in less time.
13. Basal ganglias store facts and create ruts, working memory holds few facts and leads change.
14. Multiple intelligences are common to all, used by few, and can be more developed daily.
15. Cynical mindsets literally block creativity, impact talent, and stomp out innovation.
16. Memory can be outsourced to help people remember, and to free the mind for focus.
17. Plasticity enables people to rewire the human brain in ways that keep it younger and smarter.
18. Encouragement can change the chemistry of a brain through raised serotonin.
19. Meta messages destroy relationships through implications different from what is said.
20. It often takes an integration of hard and soft skills to solve problems with the brain in mind.
21. Stress literally shrinks the brain, and poor tone in communication acts as a silent killer.
22. Greet a person through speaking that person’s name, for a spike in personal awareness.
23. Inspire creativity and invention through teaching others at the same time you also learn.
24. Create new neuron pathways each time you add a solution to any problem you encounter.
25. Women’s and men’s brain differ biologically and intellectually in ways that few optimize.
What insights do these facts hand you about your brain? How could they increase your brainpower in ways that improve your situation?