Writing or designing with flow takes a healthy dose of right brain action. How so?
It’s more about playing with ideas so they flow freely, before you begin to organize these ideas or spelling them correctly.
Only at first, that is. Your freewriting prevents the left brain from dominating and literally blocking new insights.
Check out the remarkable example below of Dr Jill Bolte Taylor who learned the power of her right brain only after the left side literally shut down during a stroke!
Why wait for disaster before you engage your right brain hemisphere?
What can you do to ratchet up your right brain, before the left side kicks in to critique your good ideas?
Schwartz’ numbers show under-developed right brains:
- 80% don’t feel fully engaged at work every day.
- 60% get away from their desk for lunch less than twice per week.
- 40% leave at least one week of vacation unused.
- 70% check their email on vacation or days off.
To spark your creative process:
Schwartz suggests things anyone can do to spark the right brain and work better right now.
1. Break every 90 minutes to renew and recharge.
2. Eat small portions of energy rich foods every three hours.
3. Avoid frustration or anxiety when stressors hit, by breathing deep.
4. Tackle important tasks first thing in your day – when brainpower is high.
The idea is to engage both sides of the brain, to increase innovation.
Develop Right Brain Creativity for Writing in the following ways:
1. Refuse to note errors while free writing on your topic for at least 5 minutes.
2. Brainstorm topic by sketching ideas you have and those you’d’ like to add.
3. Use your free writing approach to create an outline for your final draft.
4. Refer to your rough draft to organize ideas and complete a logical outline.
5. Read the work aloud to ensure transitions work to connect parts well.
Only at this point is it a good idea to allow the left brain’s critical side to improve your writing or creative designs.
While the right brain unleashes amazing insights you rarely know you possess, the left brain also has a job to do as it will help you to spell correctly, organize ideas sequentially and do other tasks notes in the diagrams here.
What will you do or write to ensure your right brain develops daily?
YOUR TURN! Join our Brain Based Circles! Would love to meet you at any of the following!
Created by Ellen Weber, Brain Based Tasks for Growth Mindset